Glassboro's heritage is glass. The origin of this area began in 1779 when Solomon Stanger and his family (having migrated from Dorhagen, Germany in 1768) established a "glass works in the woods" of Gloucester County. Stanger initially purchased 200 acres.
He was one of several brothers who were skilled glass blowers previously employed in Salem County.
Eventually Stangerís enterprise became The Whitney Glass Work.
A building surge led to the erection of elegant homes such as Hollybush Mansion, built in 1847 by Thomas Whitney for his private use. The Italian villa is a stone-built structure, designed to last for centuries.
Today the villa is home to the Heritage Glass Museum thatís open Sat., 11 am to 2 pm and the fourth Sun. of each month from 1 pm to 4 pm. Free admission.