When Henry Hudson first saw the high hills here in 1609, he described them as being a very good land to fall with and a pleasant land to see.
Indeed, there are many firsts associated with the Twin Lights, which tower 250 feet above Sandy Hook Bay, on one of the highest points along the coast.
This is where the United States first Fresnel lens was located; Guglielmo Marconi demonstrated the first practical use of the wireless telegraph from Navesink in 1899; the first lamps to be fueled by kerosene were used here in 1883; and in 1898, it was one of the first electrically lit seacoast lighthouses in the country.
The present day brownstone double lighthouses were built in 1862 on the site of the original 1828 Navesink Lighthouses.
Twin Lights was decommissioned in 1949, the handsome building today houses a museum of lighthouse and lifesaving station artifacts, offering films and slide shows.
Spectacular views are available from atop the medieval-style towers. Located in Highlands, it is open daily 10 am - 4:30 pm during the summer and Wed. - Sun. 10 am - 4:30 pm the rest of the year.
Exhibits and gift shop are accessible to the disabled. Donation requested. 732-872-1814.
Bus Parking, Gift Shop
Dates closed: New Years Day, Christmas Day and Veterans Day Distance from Beach: 1 mil Distance from Closest Airport: 1hour Hours: Wed. thru Sun. 10:00 am am to 4:30 pm