The Abraham Staats House is one of the finest surviving buildings from the Dutch Settlement of the Raritan Valley in the 18th century. Over the centuries the house has been expanded several times and now includes a fine late, Federal/Greek Revival two-story addition.
The house had an interesting history during the American Revolution when it served as the headquarters of General von Steuben during the second Middlebrook Encampment (1779).
The Abraham Staats House was acquired by Borough of South Bound Brook in 1999 with grant assistance provided by Somerset County (the previous owner was given life tenancy). With foresight and through thoughtful negotiation, the Borough has insured that this important site will remain in the public domain.
The Abraham Staats House was entered onto the New Jersey Register of Historic Places on August 29, 2002 and the National Register of Historic Places on December 4, 2002.
Open the 2nd Saturday of the month 10 am - Noon or for special events. Check our website for upcoming events