Fire Control Tower No. 23 is New Jersey's last remaining restorable World War II tower, part of the immense Harbor Defense of the Delaware system known as Fort Miles.
Built in 1942, the tower was one of 15 towers that helped aim batteries of coastal artillery, stretching from North Wildwood to Bethany Beach, DE.
Four were in Cape May County. The towers located in North Wildwood and Wildwood Crest were torn down and a third tower is located inside Cape May’s Grand Hotel at Beach and Philadelphia avenues.
Fire Control Tower No. 23 is on land now part of the Cape May Point State Park. The tower is listed on the New Jersey Register of Historic Places and on the National Register.